Halloween Crafts - Spooky Magnetic Rocks
As summer comes to an end and autumn creeps closer the majority of us are racking our brains trying to find new things that can keep the children entertained. With Halloween just around the corner it is the perfect opportunity to get the kids involved with spooky craft decorations around your home. This crafting activity is perfect for all ages and you don’t have to spend an arm and a leg either!
All you need is a good sized rock from your local woodland or park and we’ll show you how to transform it into an effective decoration that will stick to fridges, garages and… well… almost anything metal!
WHAT DO I NEED?
- ROCKS: Find some rocks that are ideally smooth to the touch. As mentioned above, these can mostly be found at your local parks or woodland areas.
- PERMANENT MARKER: A black permanent marker is the standard requirement, but feel free to experiment with other colours if you’re feeling creative!
- PAINT: Child friendly paint is very effective and it’s important to think about your creation before deciding what colour paint you would like to buy. For example, most people who would like to create a ghost would buy white paint
- GLUE: Safety first! If the little monsters are going to be hands on please remember to purchase a child friendly glue. Otherwise, this could just be a job for us older people – the glue is required to stick your magnets to your spooky rocks.
- MAGNETS: We recommend using 8mm x 1mm magnets for this task – Neodymium magnets are small in size but are incredibly strong making them perfect for holding heavy objects like your rocks.
- CLEAR NAIL VARNISH: This is not a requirement, but it’ll give your spooky rock an impressive professional looking shine!
- Head to your local park or woodland to pick your rocks. Remember, it is much easier to paint and decorate them if they are smooth and as round as possible.
- Let’s not forget about hygiene! Give the rocks a good wash before delving into the nitty gritty stuff, who knows where they have been?
- Now the fun bits! Decide on what you would like to create and paint the base colour accordingly – a pumpkin would be orange, a ghost would be white, frankenstein would be green. I’m sure you get the picture.
- Wait… until the paint fully dries.
- Take your permanent marker and draw all of the spooky details you feel necessary! If your drawing is as talentless as mine, refer to google images.
- If you want to make your final designs that little bit more effective, simply add a clear nail varnish to the rocks and it’ll look super smooth and shiny. This will also create a waterproof layer if you’re worried about them getting wet and spoiling.
- Use your super glue to stick your strong magnet on to the back of your magnet. As advised above, please keep the kids safe!
- Once dry your spooky magnetic Halloween rocks are complete!